top of page

Grievance Policy

Any grievance or complaint by a client, volunteer, of staff member can be made to the direct supervisor (in the case of staff or volunteer) or to the staff on duty (in the case of a client).


Any complaint relating to a staff member or volunteer may be made directly to that staff member’s or volunteer’s supervisor. In cases where this is not advisable, such as in the case of a complaint dealing with the individual who would normally receive the complaint, the individual filing the complaint should contact the Ombudsman appointed by the Board of Directors.  

All complaints should be documented.  However, complaints may be made in writing or may be made orally. In the case of oral complaints the individual receiving the complaint will make a written record of the complaint and verify its accuracy with the individual filing the complaint before proceeding. 


Additional information about this policy may be obtained through a River to Recovery staff member.  

The state of Massachusetts has many resources when it comes to reporting cases of abuse and emergencies: 

  • If a staff member or client is aware that a child is at risk, they can call the Child-At-Risk Hotline 24/7 to make a report at 800-792-5200. 

  • To file a report of abuse to a person with a disability, the Disabled Persons Protection Commission Hotline can be contacted anytime at 800-426-9009 

  • Project Bread Food Source Hotline- 800-645-8333 

  • Elder Abuse Hotline (800-922-2275) operates seven days a week, 24 hours a day. 

  • SafeLink -- 1-877-785-2020 (toll-free) TTY -- 1-877-521-2601. 

  • National Domestic Violence Hotline -- 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) 

  • National Sexual Assault Hotline -- 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) 

  • Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline (DSS): 24 Hours, 7 Days. 1-800-792-5200 

  • Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (MSPCC): M-F, 9 AM - 5 PM. 1-800-442-3035 

bottom of page